New screws for PU mount

More
7 months 2 weeks ago #1130 by MadDog 1969
MadDog 1969 created the topic: New screws for PU mount
Dear Andrew,

The PU mount on my MN rifle was loose. I discovered that the threads holding the PU side mount to the receiver have been stretched. To tighten side mount, I had to remove the locking screws and turn the main screws in more. Now the location cut in the head of screws for the locking screws is not longer correct. The threads are Whitworth (55 degrees) not metric (60 degrees). Please advise.

Thank you.

Best regards,

MadDog 1969

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Andrew
  • Генералиссимус Советского Союза
More
7 months 1 week ago #1131 by Andrew
Andrew replied the topic: New screws for PU mount
Okay. We may have some replacements available in our spare parts bin. There are several fasteners used in that mount so I need to be sure which one you are looking to replace. Can you please take a picture of the mount and the location of the fastener?

Pictures can be sent to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. should a problem arise with posting them here.

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #1139 by MadDog 1969
MadDog 1969 replied the topic: New screws for PU mount
Thanks Andrew,

Sorry I have been off line for some time. I will send you pictures. As they say, "A picture is worth a thousand words."

On the topic of Wentworth vs. Metric threads, do you know of any sources to purchase Wentworth taps and/or dies? Thank you again.

MadDog 1969

More
5 months 5 days ago #1166 by MadDog 1969
MadDog 1969 replied the topic: New screws for PU mount
Hello Andrew,

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. Lots of excuses. I have attached pictures to show what I have tried to describe above. In the first picture, you can see that I had to turn the screw approximately 30 degrees past the original point. Now the notch for the "keeper" screw is out of place.

The same is true for the screw on the left. As I have mentioned, theses screws/bolts have 55 degree Whitworth threads.

Thank you and again I apologize for my tardiness. I look forward to your guidance and wisdom.

Best regards,

MadDog 1969
Attachments:

• Andrew
More
5 months 3 days ago #1167 by Andrew
Andrew replied the topic: New screws for PU mount
Thanks for the follow-up with pictures. That cleared up the issue on what you are facing.

Our aftermarket mounts and fasteners do not use that notched setup so we do not have anything to help you out with.

You may be able to purchase longer versions of the smaller fasteners and then hold the larger fasteners in place on top of heads. Of course it would depend on whether there is enough clearance between the actual PU scope mount and the mounting rail.

Best of luck. I wish we had a solution available for this issue.

Moderators: AdministratorAndrew
Time to create page: 0.617 seconds